Date & Oat Slice
This is the most versatile of recipes, producing one of the ‘Lost Garden of Heligan’s’ most popular cakes. The dates can be replaced with stewed apricots for a bit of extra ‘zing’. Rhubarb would also be a tasty alternative when in season. The recipe says that it makes 8 – 10 slices, but I found that it made a lot more than that.
450g/1lb plain flour
225g/8oz rolled oats
225g/8oz soft dark brown sugar
110g/4oz caster sugar
600g/21oz dried dates
- Place the flour, oats, caster and dark brown sugar into a bowl and mix well.
- Melt the butter, add to the dry mixture then divide this into two.
- Meanwhile, place the dates into a saucepan, just covering them with water, and simmer until soft.
- Cover the base of a lined, shallow tin 30cms x 37.5 cms with one half of the mixture and press down. Take the stewed dates and spread them evenly over the top. The remaining mixture can now be used to cover the dates.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180/350/gas 4 for 30 – 40 minutes. Cut when cooled.