Bobotie Serves 6
250g green or brown whole lentils
125g bread, torn into small pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 large cooking Apple, chopped
1 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp pine nuts
Preheat oven to 200 c.
Grease a medium sized oven proof dish.
1. Wash lentils in a sieve under running water. Boil in a large pan of water until soft but retaining some bite (20 mins ish). Drain.
Meanwhile, soak bread in milk for 15 mins.
2. Gently fry onion and apple in some oil, covered, until soft (around 10-20mins). Add curry powder, salt, sugar, turmeric, vinegar. Stir and turn off heat.
3. Drain bread, reserve milk. Add bread to onion mix. Add cooked lentils, one beaten egg and pine nuts. Gently stir.
4. Pour into dish, bake for 15mins.
5. Beat 2 eggs into milk, pour over partly cooked lentil mix. Return to oven for 20-30 mins until set and browned on top.
Serve with vegetable side dishes or salads.